Back at the beginning of December, I had high hopes for lots of blogging to show you some of the items that I had to keep secret as they were gifts. Now, it’s nearly the end of my three week vacation and I’m wondering where the time went! I’m going to share a couple of items with you today, just to get things moving again.
First up, if you follow me on Instagram, you’ve probably seen some “In Progress” photos. Several months ago, my cousin and a friend saw a Unicorn Blanket pattern that both wanted dearly. I found the pattern on Etsy (later realizing I could have bought it on Ravelry) and printed it out. It took me a little bit to purchase all the yarn I would need as several stores would have 1-2 skeins of it…I needed A LOT!
I learned a lot with the first blanket. I had never crocheted in the back loop only before and found that it creates a look much like ribbing with knit. I used office supply binder hooks to hold the hood and the blanket together for placement and sewing. I learned that I should use a much smaller hook with the yarn for the horn as it came out way too big. I also learned that since the stitches were larger, white fiberfill does not look as good. Although the horn is secure, it is not as firm as I would have liked. I also learned that gauge really does matter when you are trying to make a toddler size blanket. It turned out to be sized for a teenager. This was originally for Iris aka “Rainy”; however I gifted it to her Mama instead.
Ravelled Here: Unicorn Blanket by Keri Palbicki
Started/Finished 9/12/17 ~ 9/23/17
Yarn: Blanket used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in the color Celebration; horn and hair used Lion Brand Landscapes in the color Boardwalk Promenade
Hook: Size US P (11.5 mm)
I called the second one, Unicorn Shlanket since it’s a hybrid between a hooded shawl and blanket. I incorporated all of my learning from the original blanket, although I knew I wanted to make this a special fit for my cousin Nichole.
I made the hood with a size US M/N (9.0 mm) crochet hook, which made it much smaller. I also used a size US I (5.5 mm) crochet hook for the horn. I bought black fiber fill off of Etsy to stuff it with and it made a world of difference! I also made the mane much fluffier than the first by using a ton more yarn. I decided to make the hood first so I could maximize the amount of yarn used in the shlanket part and this turned out to be a wise decision.
The shlanket itself was made with a US P (11.5 mm) crochet hook and I decided not to add the fringe since it was so long. Unfortunately, I do not have finished pictures of the full shlanket because I forgot to take them before shipping this off to my cousin (hint, hint!) and she has not gotten back to me with final pictures. I do have picture of the hood however, and I think you’ll agree that it turned out much better! Also included is a picture of the “In Progress” shlanket part. I used the same yarns; however the shlanket is in the color Fisherman instead of Celebration.
Until next time, Happy Knitting or Crocheting!