My Hermione’s Everyday Socks have been in snooze status on Ravelry since October 21st. It doesn’t seem that long ago in some ways and in others it seems like a lifetime ago. So much has happened since that time and I feel like a different person. I knew that I wanted to start my Thursday sock posts again, as it will spur me to make lots of socks this year. I made a slight name change to the series and I hope you like it!
I committed to a test project for a cables and lace shawlette and that has consumed most of my knitting time since shortly after Christmas. I knew I wanted to have something to blog about, so I took a break and cast on for a super easy and quick sock. It’s actually called Quick Socks and is knit with bulky yarn. Since I work from home; I always need thick, comfy socks to keep my feet warm.
I’m using Berroco Comfort Chunky in the color Lagoon and size US 10 – 6.0mm DPNs. You can see my notes in the link above; however I will say that I’ve made several changes to the pattern itself. I learned how to knit a toe and heel using German Short Rows and I decided to use that technique with this pair of socks instead of wrap & turns. It’s much less fussy and easier. I made the length of the foot longer than the pattern called for (7.5 inches instead of 6 inches) and I’m so glad I did as they are a perfect fit.
I fiddled around with the row after the heel because it didn’t seem correct and made my notes on the paper pattern, as well as Ravelry so I wouldn’t forget with the second sock.
I also didn’t like only two rows of 1×1 ribbing for the top of the sock. Instead I completed five rows of 2×2 ribbing. And after that, things got tricky! I cast off using the directions from the pattern, cut my yarn (big mistake) and wove in all my ends (another big mistake). Then this happened.
I have never cast off and then figured out something didn’t fit! Eek! So, I learned how to undo my cast off and put the stitches back on the needles…that part wasn’t so hard, albeit a little nerve wracking as it was my first time. It was the unweaving / unknotting of my ends that caused the most grief. I really know how to weave in ends so they will not come out!
In the end, I went with the JSSBO (Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off) and I bound off in the 2×2 rib pattern. Of course, I had to attach more yarn since this cast off uses way more yarn. One sock is complete and fits so nicely. Now, to get the other completed 🙂
Until next time, Happy Knitting!